A map on the wall at my grandmother’s tailor, the Wee Sew Shop, in Bloomington, IL.
Every time they alter a garment they put a pin in the map showing where it was originally made.
My weekly internet roundup, Hot Links:
- 40 Maps that will help you make sense of the world.
- Lately, I’m obsessed with savory pancakes. They are so easy to make. Try these gluten-free chive pancakes with a dinner salad.
- Gen X hits midlife – How do us ‘slackers ‘deal with mid-life? Great Salon discussion piece.
- If you have 12 minutes you need to watch the most hilarious and epic Vine compilation video.
- How Africa (yes – Africa) will dominate the world in the near future.
- Top 10 lessons learned from a guy who traveled the world for 10 years.
- Welcome to the world’s largest penis collection. FYI – This is probably safe for work.
- How to: Press Botanicals (my great-grandmother Myrtle used to do this when I was a little girl.)
- Thom Browne, fashion designer, lives in this tiny, polished NY apartment.
- Ellis Islands – creepy images of what’s not on the tour.
- Tips on how to travel in India.
- How people woke up for work pre-alarm clock.
- Any if you haven’t seen it already, Shark Cat Riding a Roomba.
It’s the dog days of summer here in Los Angeles! I finally had to turn on the air conditioning in my office. I am extra busy with design projects this month, so I may not be blogging as much as I would like to. The garden is finally in full tilt, now that it has gotten hotter. I’m planning the last BBQ’s and beach trip for the summer. I’m secretly starting to shop online for fall boots. We just finished marathoning Orange is the New Black last night (a new Netflix show) about women in prison (recommended – watch it!). I started going to an outdoor yoga class in the park. I generally more of a Pilates girl, but outdoor yoga is great. I started Gala Darling‘s Radical Self Love Bootcamp, which gives you writing assignments everyday for 30 days that focus on helping you turn down the volume on personal self loathing and negative mind speak. I’m only a few days into it but it seems like a really powerful exercise. And today is day 38 of my consecutive daily walks at Echo Park Lake! Oh — and I might be getting Lasik surgery soon. More on that next week!